We are not experts, but we know people who are - please do get in touch if you have any queries or concerns.
Sue is a member of Marple Local Meeting and has completed the Quaker Life course for safeguarding leads, and online training from Thirtyone:eight for safeguarding leads. She has a NHS background.
Celia is a member of Wilmslow Local Meeting and has completed the Thirtyone:eight online training sessions for safeguarding children and young people, and adults at risk of harm.
Last updated: 08/02/2023
East Cheshire Quakers are committed to creating safe, secure, and welcoming space for all our Friends, attenders and visitors, whatever their age.
Our Safeguarding Policy and Procedures have been developed in line with recommendations from Britain Yearly Meeting, and represent the best advice about managing risk and responding to any concerns.
East Cheshire Area Meeting is a member of Thirtyone:eight, the specialist safeguarding advisory service for Churches. Our full Safeguarding Policy can be found below. We aim to ensure that:
- children who attend Children’s Meeting are properly protected from inappropriate, abusive or exploitative activity
- adults who may be at risk of harm because of particular care or support needs are properly supported and protected
- young people taking part in other Quaker organised activities e.g. Teenage General Meeting or Regional Gathering are safeguarded
- “Safer Recruitment” processes are used in recruiting volunteers, including DBS checks
- other organisations hiring rooms within our premises have proper safeguarding arrangements in place
- advice is always available in the event of a concern
- there are clear pathways to follow should an accident/ incident/ disclosure of abuse occur
- we are sensitive to anyone involved in the meeting who may be a survivor of abuse
- any risks associated with a known offender attending meeting are recognised and managed appropriately
We have revised and updated our Safeguarding Policy in line with current best practice and Britain Yearly Meeting's model policy. Our new Policy was adopted by the Area Meeting in January 2022. Click on the link below to find it.
This document explains how we are putting the Policy into practice. It is also based on current guidance from Britain Yearly Meeting.
Update 01/07/2022:- Awaiting completion. For further information, please contact Sue Pounder, Safeguarding Coordinator, at 07746 785 743 or email@example.com
A range of information sheets, guidelines and resources to support our work around safeguarding.
Legislation and guidance is constantly evolving, both at a national and local level. Some useful links are given below:
Sue Pounder, ECAM Safeguarding Coordinator, reports back on the Safeguarding Adults webinar she attended in February. This includes resources for Quakers who may want to learn more about this important topic.